The Integrated Natural Resources and Environmental Management Project (INREMP) is one of the major projects of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Forest Management Bureau (DENR-FMB). It aims to address unsustainable watershed management in four priority Upper River Basins (URBs), namely;
With particular focus on indigenous peoples and resource-poor communities, the project aims to reduce and reverse degradation of watersheds and associated environmental services caused by forest denudation and unsustainable farming practices.
Mechanisms are being developed to provide incentives to local communities, local government units (LGUs), and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) for improving natural resource management by generating sufficient and tangible economic benefits.
Mechanisms to achieve project objectives include:
COMPONENT I - RIVER BASIN AND WATERSHED MANAGEMENT AND INVESTMENT
COMPONENT II - SMALLHOLDER AND INSTITUTIONAL INVESTMENTS IN CONSERVATION AND URB PRODUCTIVITY ENHANCEMENT
COMPONENT III - RIVER BASIN AND WATERSHED MANAGEMENT CAPACITY AND RELATED GOVERNANCE MECHANISMS
COMPONENT IV - PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT SERVICES
Funding for INREMP primarily comes from a loan obtained by the Government of the Philippines (GOP) from the Asian Development Bank and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) with minor grant components from the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) and the Climate Change Fund (CCF). The Project entails a total funding of $154.12 Million or PhP 6.3 Billion including the GOP, LGUs and Beneficiaries counterpart. The table below shows the amount in dollars and pesos and percentage share/contribution of each funding agency.
|$ in Million||100||20||1.4||2.5||15.3||8.49||6.42||154.12|
The Project sites are comprised of 23 watersheds extending to over 11,385.54 km2 with an estimated population of around 1.8 million. Approximately, 223,000 household beneficiaries are targeted covering 9 provinces, 81 cities and municipalities, and some 1,332 barangays. Main beneficiaries are marginal households with small landholdings. Indigenous Peoples (IPs) and other ethnic minorities constitute around 75% of the total beneficiaries that reside in headwaters of the river basins.
The extent and location of the URBs are shown in the table below:
|REGION||RIVER BASIN||NO. OF WATERSHED||ESTIMATED AREA (km2)||% FROM TOTAL INREMP AREA||PROVINCE/S||NO. OF LGUs/ MUNICIPALITIES|
|CAR||Upper Chico River Basin||8||4,545.52||40%||Apayao, Ifugao, Benguet, Kalinga, Mt. Province||45|
|REGION VII||Upper Wahig-Inabanga River Basin||4||627.93||6%||Bohol||21|
|ARMM||Lake Lanao Watershed||5||1,413.39||12%||Lanao del Sur||34|
|REGION X||Upper Bukidnon River Basin||6||4,798.70||42%||Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental||27|
|TOTAL||4||23||11,385.54||100%||9 Provinces||127 / 81*|
*The total 81 avoids double counting as some municipalities straddle more than 1 watershed
Of the aggregate Project area, 63% are classified as forest land while 37% are alienable and disposable (A & D) lands. Of the 719,985 ha of forestland, only 312,585 ha or 43% have forest cover, the remaining 407,400 ha or 57% are either cultivated, grasslands, shrubs, wooded grassland or built-up areas. On the other hand, of the 418,570 ha of A& D lands, 314,193 ha or 76% are cultivated and planted to annual crops and the rest are shrub land or cultivated land planted to perennial crops or grassland or built-up areas.
Copyright © 2015 - All Rights Reserved - Integrated Natural Resources and Environmental Management Project